History

Mr William Booker, a pardoned convict was granted 60 acres of land in 1838. He and Bill Bogan, their wives, two other women and eight victims of the 1898 SS Maitland shipwreck are buried in Bogan Street at the old Church of England site. Rock Davis purchased the land in the early 1900s and subdivided.

Booker Bay Café started life in this building in 1918 as King’s Store. Back then cars and roads were the exception and there was no Woolies, Coles, or Aldi to pop down to. It was vital to provide Booker Bay residents and holiday makers with their essential needs.

The store is now heritage listed as one of Australia’s oldest operating ‘corner-stores’.

Today our customers tend to live within half a kilometre including the famous “fish streets” off Ocean View Rd: Flathead, Murray, Flounder, Bream; and on the Booker Bay peninsular bounded by Ocean View, Webb Rd, and Bogan Street (named after the founder of the area).

Our customers’ loyalty has inspired us to be more than a take-away, instead filling a community need for our friends.

Ettalong/Booker Bay Bus service in the 1920’s